The Housing Locator will assist families and individuals, who will be participating in Housing Assistance and other CHS Programs, in identifying safe and affordable housing in a timely manner.
The Housing Locator will engage and build relationships with landlords within the private market advocating for our clients as future tenants. The Housing Locator will be responsible for assisting clients in locating landlords and available apartments and assuring valid and truthful leases are drafted. S/he will assist clients in picking apartments that are safe and affordable. S/he will facilitate conducting inspections and ensuring rental units meet Fair Market Rent and Rent Reasonableness standards. S/he will assist the appropriate teams in calculating arrears and forward rent and in gathering all appropriate rental documentation. S/he will facilitate mediation between clients and landlords when appropriate while working with the appropriate service coordinator/case manager.
CHS uses the Housing First and Harm Reduction service delivery models, assisting clients with housing as the immediate need without requirements to abstain from any harmful behavior prior to being housed.
Full time employment benefits include; Health, Dental, Vision, Generous PTO and Holidays. Life Insurance/STD/LTD, and 401k.
· Network with landlords and property managers for potential housing units. Perform inspections (or request inspection from third party) on potential apartments and assure the drafting of valid and truthful leases.
· Conduct Fair Market Rent and Rent Reasonableness assessments.
· Assist residents in identifying and working through issues that may compromise their ability to meet rent payments.
· Identify criminal background history and/or other necessary information that may be potential barriers in securing housing.
· Maintain a comprehensive written record of all activities via electronic database.
· Regulate reporting to staff and financial manager.
· Regularly communicate available units to all service coordinators/CSS in the agency.
· Diplomatically handle problems surrounding housing issues such as maintenance of apartments, restoration of apartments upon discharge of clients, tenant disputes, landlord issues, etc.
· Facilitate various support groups with clients/landlords pertaining to apartment living, budgeting and life skills, and client/landlord mediation.
· Develop and conduct necessary training for landlord/tenant rights and responsibilities to staff and clients.
· Attend and network with landlords by attending landlord association meetings.
· Maintain and expand landlord database with available units.
· Assist clients in starting discussions with landlords and touring apartments with the client.
· All other duties as assigned.
· BA/BS degree, experience in homeless/affordable housing, real estate/rental market, or any combination of education, work and life experience.
· A working knowledge of the social service system and the rental market.
· Knowledge of state and local housing laws including Tenant/Landlord rights.
· A willingness to work collaboratively within a team setting.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
· Strong organizational and computer skills.
· Ability to work and travel independently.
· Must have a valid PA driver’s license.